Unconscious Bias and Disproportionality in the Criminal Justice System
This CPD-certified training course is targeted towards youth justice practitioners and aims to enhance awareness of unconscious bias within the context of racial disproportionality and overrepresentation of young BAME people within the criminal justice system. The training is intended to increase understanding of this complex issue and explore strategies and techniques to reduce the potential for UB to adversely impact upon practice.
This course also examines the issue of overrepresentation and disproportionality within the CJS and explores how this growing disparity can be best addressed. Attendees will gain a greater understanding of the distinct needs of BAME children and young people involved in crime and whether current diversionary interventions are sufficiently ‘culturally competent’.
Who is this course for?
This course is for YOS case workers, probation workers, social workers and the wider workforce who work directly with BAME young people involved with the criminal justice system. The course is open however to all those with an interest in crime prevention and reduction and the rehabilitation of offenders, including education staff, careers advisors and youth workers.
- To identify the definition of unconscious bias (UB)
- Examine evidence-based research for UB within the Criminal Justice System
- Develop a clear understanding of the science and behaviour of UB
- Support practitioners to identify their own UB and associated triggers and drivers
- Develop strategies and practical steps towards better and bias-free decision-making processes
- Explore the reasons for disproportionality and overrepresentation within the Criminal Justice System
- Inform effective practice for addressing over representation and reducing reoffending
- Develop a greater sense of self-awareness and mindfulness in working with BAME young people within the YJS
To be announced.
Interested in this course? Our trainers can come to you and deliver on site. Give our team a call to see if we can meet your requirements - 02035984109.
£100 including booking fees and VAT. Early Bird tickets are available at £85. Start time 09.30. Finish time 16.00. The course consists of power points, audio visual resources, group discussions and activities. All places must be booked through the online booking system using a debit or credit card. Invoices can also be requested online.
CPD Accredited Content
This training course is officially CPD-certified, giving attendees the opportunity to benefit from up to 6 hours of CPD-accredited content across the day.